8 Tips to Help Prevent Crime at ATMs
Eastern Savings Bank recommends that customers follow these eight safety tips when using any ATM:
- Keep your PIN number a secret. Never write it down or share it with anyone – not even family members.
- Be aware of your surroundings, particularly at night. Make sure the ATM is free of sight obstructions. If you observe suspicious persons or circumstances, do not use the machine.
- Bring someone with you when using an ATM at night. If you can’t, use an ATM that is located in a public area like a convenience or grocery store.
- Have your ATM card ready and in your hand as you approach the ATM.
- Use your body to “shield” the ATM keyboard as you enter your PIN.
- Always take your receipts or transaction records with you.
- Do not count or visually display any money you received from the ATM. Immediately put your money into your pocket or purse and count it later.
- If you are using a drive-up ATM, be sure passenger windows are rolled up and all doors are locked. If you leave your car and walk to the ATM, lock your car.